Lavender essential oil has been among us for centuries. During all that time, the growing and harvesting process stayed the same. In essence, it is simple to grow this plant, but only if you know certain facts. If you are a beginner, keep in mind that your location is crucial. We will be discussing the soil and location more in the following points.
The first thing you must know is that lavender is native to the northern parts of the Africa, but it is also present in the Mediterranean area, especially France and Italy. For example, the best-known region in France is Provence, and most experts claim that the best lavender comes from this part of the globe. You can get more details and products from this area on this link.
Crucial facts to remember
Before starting, here are some points you will have to memorize. If not, you will fail with your lavender farm. In addition, this guide applies to some of the most common types of lavender. They are English lavender, Spanish lavender and Grosso (Provence).
- Always plant lavender in a sunny place where it can get enough of sunlight. Avoid places under shade. Make sure the soil has a lot of needed nutrients.
- Water it occasionally, usually when the soil is dry. Avoid overwatering it can cause damage to the plant.
- In early spring, lavender should be pruned.
- After 2 years, plants must be cut (only 3-4 foot lavender) in order to prevent them from getting too woody. If you have some overwoody plants, make sure you remove the biggest branches. Usually, the oldest branches should be removed. If this doesn’t do a trick, you must dig them out and plant new ones.
- Cut the flower spikes and dry them. Place them in a dry shed.
- Once you get dry, you can sell it or make use of it.
Making your own essential oil
Making your own essential lavender oil is interesting, but it is a time-consuming process. If you want, you will have to crush the flowers, place them in a jar and add oil.Leave the mixture for some time, in the sunlight and remove the debris. Keep in mind that it must stay in that jar for 6 weeks (in order to get the best results).
Adding vitamin E is optional, but it is recommended. It can make the essential oil much better and more useful. A separate fact that must be mentioned is that you must use oil that is going to be added to crush flowers, without a scent. Some people claim that you can use low-scent oils as well, but they can affect the end result, so we won’t recommend them.
Your essential oil should be placed in a jar or sealed bottle, so it doesn’t have any contact with the air. Now, you can use it for countless benefits this essential oil has to offer. We will also add the fact that you should avoid too old plants.